Pages

Yardstick Christmas Card Display

Pin It Now!
Yardstick Christmas Card Display

I love receiving Christmas cards, especially photo cards.  
It doesn’t matter that I see photos of friends and family everyday on social media, there is still something magical about a real holiday photo card that arrives in my mailbox. I love displaying these treasures on greenery-clad door frames or gathering them in a festive tray on my coffee table.  I’ve even been known to save my favorites in a holiday notebook.  
This year, I wanted a unique way to display my cards.  

So, this is what I came up with


I love yardsticks, especially when they are old and unique. 
I will admit that this tree only contains one of my oldest yardsticks.  

The others are from various craft and fabric stores.  I made this craft in less than 20 minutes and you can too.  Here’s the complete DIY...


Supplies:
1 - 48 inch Yardstick
3 - 36 inch Yardsticks
1- 18 inch Ruler
1 - 12 inch Ruler
Red pre-made ribbon from Hobby Lobby
Krazy Glue (brush on kind)
Miter Saw
Clothespins
Picture Hanger Tab

First of all, you will need to cut two of your 36” yardsticks to these measurements:
Cut one 36 inch yardstick to 30 inches long.
Cut one 36 inch yardstick to 24 inches long.
You should have a 48”, a 36”, an 18” and a 12” remaining. Leave them as they are.


Next, Lay your 48” yardstick on a flat surface vertically.
Mark the 6” line on 48” yardstick.
Use your 12” ruler and find the center at the 6” line.
Paint a thin layer of Krazy Glue on the back of 12” ruler at 6” line and hold firmly until dry, about 30 seconds.




Move down the 48” vertical yardstick to the 15” line.
Take your 18” ruler and paint Krazy Glue on the back at the 9” line.  Attach and hold firmly on the 15” line of the vertical yardstick.



Move down the 48” vertical yardstick to the 24” line.
Take your 24” cut yardstick and paint Krazy Glue on the back at the 12” line.  Attach and hold firmly on the 24” line of the vertical yardstick.


Move down the 48” vertical yardstick to the 33” line.
Take your 30” cut yardstick and paint Krazy Glue on the back at the 15” line.  Attach and hold firmly on the 33” line of the vertical yardstick.


Move down the 48” vertical yardstick to the 42” line.
Take your 36” yardstick and paint Krazy Glue on the back at the 18” line.  Attach and hold firmly on the 42” line of the vertical yardstick.


Attach picture hanger metal tab on back of top vertical ruler using Krazy Glue.  Again, hold for about 30 seconds or until completely dry.


I attached my pretty red bow using a clothespin and it doesn’t even show.  You could also use Krazy Glue to attach the bow, if you want.


I think it gives the tree character to use different widths and stains 
so mix it up a little when you are choosing your branches (yardsticks).  
I found my yardsticks at Johnson Fabrics, Hancock Fabrics and Michael’s.  
I have also bought yardsticks at various antique stores and garage sales. 

Here's a preview of my card this year.
***Disclosure:  I was compensated with free foil cards for this project by Tiny Prints.  The opinions expressed are my honest opinions and were not swayed by this free product. I have been a Tiny Prints customer for many years.  I mean just look how adorable those cards are!
You can read more about my Disclosure policy here.*** 

I chose one of the new foil stamped cards from Tiny Prints



Happy Holidays!



Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment