Pages

Milk Paint Vintage Table Lamp

Pin It Now!
 Recently, I have been getting fussed at in some of my "COMMENTS" (in a nice fussing way)
because I'm not doing enough tutorials on my painted furniture.  Yep, you are right, I haven't been including tutorials, just mostly pictures, because I did so many detailed tutorials at the beginning of my painted furniture projects that I just figured you all knew how I got "my look".  
So, (as promised) here's a tutorial on this project...


First of all, I used "Lucketts Green" by Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint.

You can read all about it at MMS' website here.
I took an excellent class on Milk Paint techniques at Me & Mrs. Jones.
If you know me, you know my love for Stephanie and all the girls at Me and Mrs. Jones.
Here's my old post about her wonderful shop and studio… (click photo below)


I got this sweet little piece at a church rummage sale back in the spring.  It was $10.  

The first thing I did was take the table apart.  

It was pretty gross so I wiped down the entire thing, very well.  
This might be a good time to warn you about something rather obvious but something that always slips my mind when I see a spindle style antique… 
I immediately fall in love with the look but forget about the fact that those spindly legs can be quite nasty, especially on really old pieces and they can be somewhat challenging to paint. Having said that, I still buy spindle pieces because I think they are absolutely beautiful!

So, back to the tutorial…
Working with Milk Paint can be challenging for a control freak, such as myself.  This paint truly has a mind of it's own and it will peel and chip where it wants!  The good news is that every time I use it, I love the look.  It's crazy because it always chips and crackles pretty perfectly.  Having said that, there are a few techniques that can be used to persuade it to chip a little more in certain places.  You can apply various mediums such as hemp oil, candle wax, vaseline, etc to the areas where you want less adhesion of the paint.  

After a good cleaning, I applied vaseline to the different spots where I wanted the paint to appear MORE "chippy".  I used a small amount of vaseline, in other words, it does not need to be gunky, it should be smooth after applied.


Then, it was time to paint.  I mixed up my milk paint according to the package instructions.  The packets are really adorable… on a side note. I applied 2 coats of paint and then let it dry.  It dries quickly so coat 1 was already dry when I got back to the beginning and started on coat 2. As it dried, it began to peel and chip, wherever it wanted to, mind you, that's the beauty of milk paint!  Once again let me say that this paint forces you to give up a little control, this could also be called "therapy" for someone like myself. 
(haha)


After the table dried and chipped completely, I applied Miss Mustard Seed's Hemp Oil.  I have fallen in love with this product! Recently, I've used it on several of my chalk paint furniture pieces and I also used it to revive my old farm table top.  If you're interested in reading about that, here's the link.

So, here's the funny part of my story…
I threw away the nasty old lamp shade and then I began searching for a replacement shade.  

Let me just say - that there was no shade to be found!  I looked everywhere, including online and could find nothing that would work as a replacement.  So, I did a little "dumpster diving" to retrieve the original shade.  I decided to use Annie Sloan on this one. I applied a coat of Aubusson Blue. As you can see, the light peaks through in spots, where the shade is weaker from wear, tear and age.  I like to think of it as having it's own ikat look!  If I ever find a shade to replace this one, I will definitely buy it but for now, this works just fine.

This sits in the corner next to a chair in my guest room.  It's a sweet little addition to my collection of painted furniture.






Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment