Pages

Plaid is the new black - DIY Scarf

Pin It Now!
In case you haven't heard, PLAID is the new black.
There you go... It's my little fashion gift to you this fall and winter.
I personally, feel a little too old to be rockin' plaid shirts and leggings. They're adorable on anyone under 30 but hello, I'm 40 and look like a butch lumberjack if I try to pull off that look. I seriously LOVE plaid though - always have. This fall, I will definitely be sporting some flats, button fitted shirts and scarves in this favorite pattern. But here's the problem - I couldn't find exactly what I wanted in a plaid scarf and say what... $30 - $60 for an infinity scarf? No sell!
Here's my cheap and ADORABLE solution, complete with tutorial pics, for you, my lovely readers. (Man, that's, a, lot, of, commas, DIY I AM, WRITER I AM NOT) Sorry, Mrs. Robinson.
This is a super easy sewing project.
You'll need 2 yards of flannel fabric.
This will make 2 scarves.
A scarf for you and one for a friend (or a teenage daughter).
I got my flannel at Hancock Fabrics
and it was 40% off, meaning I paid less than $4 a yard!
A $4 scarf!?!? Yep, now that's a deal and it's how we do!
Here's another deal - "retail me not" app always has Hancock coupons, along with almost every other store. If you don't have that app, download it as soon as you finish reading this awesome post. That app will change your life, err, your wallet. No kickbacks or compensation from Hancock Fabrics or Retail Me Not, for this post, although I'd love to propose just that, if they're reading this post... Just sayin'
I made 6 scarves in an hour and 40 minutes. That includes a coffee and snack break along with some watching of "The Chew". I think I could make them even faster, if I was really trying.
Take your two yards of fabric and fold it long ways, as shown below.
Cut on the fold. This will give you two pieces of fabric about 30" x 72".
Set one piece of fabric aside, you only need one piece per scarf.
Next, fold your fabric, long ways, with right sides facing each other. Then, sew the entire length of the open side, as shown below.
Now, you should have one long tube of fabric. Turn it right side out.
The next step is to place one end of the tube into the other end, without having any raw fabric edges showing. This is how you do that. My best tip is to get out your iron and turn both ends under 1/2 inch and press.
Slip one end into the other and pin.
Then sew it closed. Just be sure you move the under side loop out of the way or you'll have one funky infinity scarf.
And this is non-model me modeling my new favorite scarf.
Wait, there's more...
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this plaid. Mmmmm... Maybe it's my favorite.
All of these fabrics are from Hancock Fabricks.
Of course I had to buy some red plaid for Christmas...
Fa la la la la, these are so very warm too.
Happy sewing!

Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this simple tutorial, I just completed 8 scarves for my girl scout troop to wear caroling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know :) I'm so glad my tutorial helped. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  2. I gave this tutorial to my sister who made me two awesome scarves and she said it was so easy so thank you! I was also lucky enough to be the recipient of the blue and green plaid scarf you have pictured here because your husband is such a generous boss. Love them all equally. Thanks for a great tutorial, I am an infinity scarf nut!

    ReplyDelete