Pages

Kitchen Reveal

Pin It Now!
BEFORE:

AFTER:




Panoramic photo - please excuse the slight distortion 

First of all, let me say that I LOVE MY PAINTED CABINETS!  
I would do it again in a heartbeat!
However, this project is not for the faint of heart.  
It was not the easiest project I've ever tackled.  
It took me 6 days.  
In the grand scheme of things, 6 days is not long 
but I worked dawn to dusk each of those 6 days.  
There were times when my shoulders and neck literally screamed at me
 and in turn, made me scream.  
CONFESSION: I worked with a heated neck pad on my shoulders for the last two days of the project.  

RETHINKING OUR PLAN:

Steve and I both really like the way the kitchen looks.  This project completely transformed the room.  Although it didn't give me any added storage or counter space, it has made us rethink our design plan.  First of all, we want to keep this section of the kitchen, as is.  
So, that means no new granite counter top, no apron sink or new faucet.  
That also means saving money on new cabinets in this area of the kitchen.

This WAS the granite slab that we reserved for the new kitchen counters...



Now that the cabinets are painted, we have realized that we like our current granite top.  


The lighter cabinet color really changed the way it looks.
We also love our current mosaic tile back splash
and if we take out the cabinets or granite, that tile work would have to be redone as well.  
(ahem ahem - even more money out of the budget)

THE PLAN
current kitchen and hearth floor plan
new floor plan

Now, y'all know that the Contractor and professionals have a better professional plan than this but this is just my quick sketch to show you what we are doing.

Our new plan will include...

A 4' x 9' foot ISLAND that seats 4-6 with a built-in GAS RANGE TOP with downdraft vent.
Floor to ceiling PANTRY CABINETS
A new wall creating a SUN ROOM
A GLASS DOOR on sliding rail leading to the sun room
A new wall creating a LAUNDRY ROOM where the current hearth room is located
A wall of GLASS CABINETS where the new wall is in the kitchen - other side of new laundry room
The laundry room will have a work ISLAND, floor to ceiling CABINETS and old REFRIGERATOR
A new COUNTER DEPTH refrigerator in the kitchen
A built-in ICE MAKER
A MUD ROOM where the old laundry room was located, 
a wall will be removed to create a larger entryway.

I get to paint all the new cabinets to make them match our current ones.  
I will also get to paint and finish the glass sliding doors, pantry door and laundry room door.
Steve and I will be building a mud room bench with hooks and additional storage.

As demo begins, we have a lot of work to do 
and I look forward to sharing this remodel adventure with you!
In the coming weeks, I will be writing about everything from tile choices to appliance picks.  
We will discuss differences in granite, quartz and concrete countertops.  
I will look at current trends like apron sinks, pendant lights and mismatched cabinet finishes.  
I look forward to your comments and input as we go!

In case you missed the previous posts on this project, here they are...
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment