Pages

Nail Whitening REVIEW

Pin It Now!

Is BAKING SODA the new BLACK?

I stumbled upon this "Nail Whitening Tip" while perusing PINTEREST last week and thought I'd give it a try and let you know if it really worked.  Here are the INS and OUTS of my discovery...


The original pin's picture (above) source is from the Shape Magazine website and there are a bunch of really cool tips in this article.  Here's the link...

NOW, LET'S GET BACK TO THE PINTEREST PIN! 
The text under the pin read... 
"How to get white nails -- make a paste using 1 tbsp peroxide and 2 1/4 tbsp baking soda.  Let this paste sit on your nails for 5 minutes and voila! White nails!  Remember this after using green nail polish"

...and the link in Shape Magazine reads...
"If you get yellow nails after months of wearing dark polish, try scrubbing your toenails with a nail brush and whitening toothpaste.  It gets rid of the yellow color.  Try it-it works pretty well, and you end up with minty fresh toes!"

ARE YOU FOLLOWING ME SO FAR?  The Shape advice didn't match the pinner's advice.  

I didn't bother trying Shape's advice because frankly I've tried the technique before and it did nothing to change the color of my stained toenails but this baking soda/peroxide idea was a new one and it was intriguing!

Here are my results...

Here are my ugly stained toenails just after I removed my red toenail polish...

I scraped and scrubbed off the polish a little more before applying the soda/peroxide mixture but as you can see they are very yellow and still stained.

First of all, if you mix the above recipe, it doesn't work very well because it's too powdery.  You really  want a foamy, thinner substance.  So just add more peroxide until it looks like the photo below.   The ratio was more likely 1:1 but I don't know the exact amount.  It should be foamy and thick.  (When I make this again, I'll use 1 Tbsp Soda and 1 Tbsp Peroxide)  I left it on my toes for 5 minutes and then rinsed in warm water.

I was so excited over the results that I forgot to take a pic immediately after I rinsed them.  Trust me when I say that it was an amazing transformation.  I polished my toes using only clear polish with a little white tip on the ends (using a white nail pen).  Look how clean they are!


Cheers to the person that came up with this original idea!  My pretty toes thank you very much!
Now, I'm going to have to try the baking soda/peroxide tooth whitening method that I keep reading so much about on Pinterest :)

and let me just ask you this...

Is BAKING SODA the new BLACK?


Come and par-tay with me at these awesome LINK PARTIES...

Pin It Now!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for playing the guinea pig on this one, Nicole. So cool to see the results. I'm going to pass this along to my daughter who has constantly polished nails. I'm glad you posted this! And thanks for coming by with your nice comment about the painted bottles. Hope you make some. They are a really easy and rewarding project, (if you don't use too cheap of a brand of paint, anyway!)
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed that pin/link discrepancy too! I wasn't impressed with the results either....I'm glad you figured out the correct proportions! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting! :) Thank you for linking this up to Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this tip!
    http://www.lighttrigger.net/2012/08/diy-almofada.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a good idea! It washes off easily, which makes it nice. Not only did it correct the transparent areas, but the whole nail tip was beautifully white. I still love it and will continue to use it. Read about juicing too at http://www.juicingforhealthlifestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. For those who need brighter teeth there square measure a spread of choices. the most effective teeth change of color merchandise for your state of affairs can depend upon your budget and therefore the quantity of inconvenience that you simply square measure willing to endure, for more information click here teeth whitening royal palm beach.

    ReplyDelete