Pages

Hemp Oil - Reviving a Farm Table

Pin It Now!

Hemp Oil is amazing stuff! 
It is one of my favorite ways to finish painted furniture projects.  
I learned about this product at a Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint Class earlier this year.  
I took the class at Me & Mrs. Jones, a great little shop and workshop that carries everything from stencil supplies to milk and chalk paint, plus offers a variety of technique classes.  
The gals over there are some of my favorite people and I highly recommend you check them out!  Here's a link to their website...http://www.mrsjonespaintedfinishes.com/studio/

As much as I love Hemp Oil as a finisher, I still find that I love Annie Sloan Wax as well.  
There are great benefits to each of these products.  
I keep both in my workshop and decide on which to use according to the 
finish I'm striving for and the amount of cure time needed.  
Hemp oil requires about 30 days to completely cure.  
It has a bit of an oily touch prior to the 30 days.

BUT BACK TO MY POST TOPIC...


I love my kitchen farm table!  
We had it custom built a couple years ago.  
It fits the space in my kitchen perfectly.  
We found some great wooden chairs with fabric seats that I easily recovered.  
I bought a couple of parson chairs from a friend that I use at the head of the table.  
I made custom slip covers using a heavy ticking upholstery fabric.  
This ensemble is my favorite furniture in our house!

AFTER...

I initially used a poly-protectant on the wood but it has worn off... as you can see.   
This table is the one my family always use for meals, homework, projects, etc.  
It was starting to look really bad so I decided to treat it with a little hemp oil.


This project took me less than 30 minutes.  
I simply used a chip brush (that I threw away afterwards) and painted out of a plastic bowl of hemp oil. I thoroughly saturated the wood as I painted and let it sit for 15 minutes, 
then I took cheesecloth and absorbed up the excess oil.  
It took a solid 3 weeks to cure but we were able to use the table after 48 hours.  
It had a bit of an oily feel for those 3 weeks but it didn't get onto clothing or anything like that.  
It changed the whole appearance of my table and made me love it even more.  
The wood looks new and beautiful again.



Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment