Pages

3 Hour Sewing Project

Pin It Now!

I made these window panels this week.  I went to the fabric store at 10:30am.  I returned home and began working on these at 11:30am.  I finished the entire project at 2:30pm!



My curtain rod was already installed with rings and clips.  If you do not have the rod installed, I would do this before beginning your project so you can make your window panels the exact length they need to be.


First of all, you need to decide the size of your panels.  It's a good rule of thumb to measure the width of your window and multiply by 1.5 for the fabric width measurement.  Next, decide if you want your panels to "puddle" or "skim" the floor.  I wanted my panels to barely graze the floor.  So, this was my method for making these panels...

In order to find your height measurement for panels that barely graze the floor - 
measure window area from the floor to the clip hanging from curtain rod, then add an inch.  
Mine measured 86"- then I added an inch for seam allowance giving me a height measurement of 87"

Next, I used the width of my fabric panel, which after cutting away salvage edge, was 54".

My windows required 10.5 yards of fabric and 10 yards of lining.  The reason I bought more of the printed fabric was because my fabric had a repeat pattern and I wanted the pattern to start and end at the same place on each panel.  If you are purchasing a repeat pattern fabric, you may need a full yard of additional fabric, it just depends on the size of your repeat area.

So, I made the following cuts...

Cut 4 panels of Fabric measuring 87" x 54" 
(I made sure my pattern began at the same exact place for each cut)
Cut 4 panels of Fabric Lining measuring 87" x 54"

With right sides facing each other, 
sew the lining and panel together along the sides 
and then trim the salvage edge.


Turn right side out. 
Turn top and bottom edges in 1/2 inch and press with hot iron.
Sew a top-stitch edge around the entire panel.
Press entire panel with a hot iron or hang and steam out wrinkles. 


Attach the panels to clip rings (evenly spaced across top) and hang on the rod.


Pin It Now!

1 comment: