Pages

Davis Desk

Pin It Now!

Davis Desk


This beauty was an old school teacher's desk.  
It is so SOLID and HEAVY.
I was really excited when I found this one.
The wood grain was beautiful so I decided to strip down the top and stain it.
I must admit that the photos make it more turquoise looking than it actually is.
It's really more of a JADE green color.
I used ASCP "Florence" with clear wax followed by dark wax.



Before I started painting the desk, I liberally applied Citristrip and let it sit for 30 minutes.
Then I scraped it off and reapplied and let it sit for 40 minutes.
Then I scraped it off and reapplied and let it sit for an hour.
I could go on... I think I lost track after the first couple of coats!  No but seriously... I think I reapplied and scraped a couple of times after the initial attempt.  Finally, it started to look beautiful.  I used steel wool and mineral spirits to clean it up.  Newspaper works best for absorbing up the gunk and spirits.  I had to include this lovely photo of the scraped gunk, when all was said and done.  I stained it with a dark wood that was a similar match to the original stain.  Then I applied a clear wood protectant.  When the top was all completely finished, I painted the rest of the desk and used clear and dark wax along with some distressing.




And now it is FOR SALE at Amity Pottery.







Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment