Pages

Chicken Pot Pie Soup

Pin It Now!

I don't know about you but I love Chicken Pot Pie!
My family shares my love for this comfort food and my two daughters request it often.  With all those requests, I still rarely make this dish because it is so fattening.
Each Fall, I make lots of soups and stews.  
Soups are one of my favorite things about cold weather season.  
So, I decided to play around with my favorite chicken pot pie recipe 
and make it a little healthier. (READ MORE)
 
I am thrilled with the results.  
My girls said they like it better than the original Chicken Pot Pie.
Here's the dish...


The BAD PART (and the very best part) of Chicken Pot Pie is the CRUST!
It's full of calories and high in fat yet taking it out of the recipe completely just won't work.  So I rolled out the pie crust (I use Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts) and used a small cookie cutter to cut small pieces.  I then placed them on an ungreased cookie sheet and baked them for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees.  Keep an eye on them because one of my cookie sheets cooks a lot faster and only required 7 minutes.


One of my favorite tricks to any chicken dish is to shred cooked chicken using my Kitchen-Aid mixer along with paddle attachment.  It shreds chicken perfectly every single time.  Add a little chicken broth to the chicken as you paddle it so it doesn't become dry.


After making a simple roux, add vegetables, broth and milk until desired soup consistency. See full recipe below.



Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe

3 Tbsp. Butter
1/3 c. Chopped Onion
1/3 c. All-Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Pepper
1 3/4 c. Chicken Broth
3 Chicken Breasts, Cooked and Shredded
1 Large Can of Mixed Vegetables (I like Veg-All Country Style)
1 Can of Sliced Carrots
1 Can of Small Peas
2/3 c. Fat Free Half & Half or Milk
Up to an additional cup of half and half or milk (depending on how thick you like soup)
1-2 Pie Crusts, Cut into small pieces and baked

In large saucepan or soup pot, melt butter, add onions and cook for 2-3 minutes.  Sprinkle onions with flour, salt and pepper and stir and cook for additional minute.
Gradually add in chicken broth, using a whisk to keep mixture smooth.
Cook for one minute or until thick.
Add chicken, vegetables and milk.
Bring to a simmer.  Add additional milk or cream until it reaches your preferred consistency.  Warm on low heat for 15-20 minutes.
Serve in a bowl with pie crust toppers.
Enjoy!

Pie Crust Toppers:
Leave pie crusts on counter until they reach room temperature.
Roll out pie crust on a piece of wax paper.
Cut crust into pieces using a cookie cutter.
Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment