A French Chair named Fantine
I found this chair at an estate sale recently.
I knew it had great potential.
The BEFORE photo makes this chair look much better than it actually did.
The fabric was faded, ripped and smelled like Aqua Net and Ben-Gay.
The upper fabric was glued and stapled to the chair. I found it was very difficult to remove.
I removed the front top completely, after removing the seat.
Under the seat, I found 4 signatures on each corner.
I love making up stories in my mind about oddities like this.
I imagine they were from 4 loving ladies that recovered this chair for their mother or grandmother,
a couple of decades ago.
I left the back fabric on the top. It was not removable without tearing up the foam.
Moving on to the painting technique...
First of all,
I painted the whole chair with Miss Mustard Seed's Ironstone.
As you can see, it peeled and flaked where it wanted to.
That's part of the magic of milk paint.
Next, I washed the entire chair (in a very watered down paint technique) using ASCP "Creme".
Then I mixed a little ASCP "Duck Egg" with the "Creme" and using a detail brush,
I painted in the accents on the chair (see above photo)
I lightly sanded over the paint to allow alittle more wood to show through.
I covered the seats with this beautiful fabric from Premiere and
I used this pretty trim around the edge.
It covered my hot glue globs ;)
And here it sits in my foyer.
Steve says it's his favorite piece that I've ever painted...
and I've painted a lot of pieces!